The Bachelor Programme in International Law is designed in accordance with state educational standards, as well as with the requirements and mission of the University that ensures not only completion of general objectives of specialist training in the field of international law, but also training of a bachelor that has distinctive features from other experts in this field. The “5B030200 International Law” bachelor programme (4 years) is implemented at the KAZGUU University on the basis of a state license granted by the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
The “5B030200 International Law” educational programme is aimed to implement the mission of University and the School, under which its goals and learning outcomes of graduates were formulated. The objectives of the educational programme also meet the requirements of the labor market. The mission of the programme is to train highly qualified specialists in the field of international public and private law, who will be able to become a part of the elite of Kazakhstan’s lawyers and meet the current challenges and public needs. The qualitative difference of this programme is contained in training of specialists who have not only sufficient knowledge in the field of international law, but who are also capable of further self-development and able to search, formulate and solve legal issues by themselves, including creative and unconventional approaches.
The advantages of the programme that make it unique are the following:
a) the interdisciplinary approach to the formation of the programme, including such components as: the relationship between the disciplines of a compulsory component- (General Education unit), a base component (Theory and History of Law, Public Law, Private Law units) and majors (International Law unit) throughout the study; consistency and coherence in the development of the programme with a- glance to prerequisite and post requisite that guarantee the gradual formation of the appropriate knowledge, skills and social competencies; interdisciplinarity in the formation of graduation project subjects and- working upon it;
b) interactive teaching techniques aimed at the formation of self-learning and self-development skills;
c) formation of the programme in accordance with the priority development fields of science at the University approved by the KAZGUU Academy of fundamental and applied sciences and implemented within the framework of scientific research institutes of the University;
d) practical orientation of the programme, including the students’ research results, including such components as: using of practice-oriented educational methods;
- formation of programme modules per feedback of the Coordinating-Council of Employers of KAZGUU University;
- compulsory link between the graduation project subjects, followed by a- reflection of practical work results in the student research;
- formation of specific proposals to improve the legal system in the student-graduation projects and submit them to the Coordinating Council of Employers of KAZGUU University;
e) holding guest lectures by practitioners in the field of international law in a systematic and continuous basis, including the framework of the Academic Diplomatic Club;
f) a continuous process of learning English for 5 semesters, with a gradual linguistic level increase with focus on the programme’s international legal orientation (International Legal English I, International Legal English II, International Legal English III);
g) provision of training opportunities in a multilingual education group which is conducted in Kazakh, Russian and English;h) A Foundation System that involves the continuous study of general required disciplines during the first year of programme, which allows students to form the required basic knowledge, skills and competence.
Upon successful completion of the programme graduates will be able to:
- demonstrate knowledge and understanding in general disciplines and fundamental legal disciplines (LO1);
- demonstrate knowledge of International Law, its subject, sources, structure and particular branches within the context of contemporary international legal practice including judicial and quasi-judicial practice (LO2);
- apply their knowledge of International Law in the activities of state bodies, individuals, legal entities and intergovernmental organizations (LO3);
- apply their knowledge in solving legal problems involving argumentation and reasoning in both domestic and international aspects (LO4);
- take and justify decisions in legal, economic and international aspects (LO5);
- communicate as a negotiator, a mediator and an arbitrator with others, including both specialist and non-specialist audiences in the resolution of legal, social and political disputes (LO6);
- continue to undertake further study with a high degree of autonomy (LO7).
The sphere of professional activity of “International law” programme graduates is the following:
- law-making work, including the drafting of treaties and contracts;
- protection of the rights and interests of the Republic of Kazakhstan at the international level, including international commercial arbitration;
- representation of the Republic of Kazakhstan at the foreign policy level, including work in the sphere of diplomatic and consular relations, international intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations;
- protection of the rights and freedoms of individuals and legal entities in the Republic of Kazakhstan and abroad;
- expert-advisory work, including the preparation of the scientific and legal opinions on draft laws, contracts and transactions.
The scope of employment. The “International law” Bachelor programme graduate can work in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, in Departments of International Relations as a public servant, as a legal expert; in international intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations, in foreign bodies of external relations as a diplomatic or consular officer; in international private companies as a legal adviser, a legal expert, a lawyer, and a civil representative. Also at the end of the course the graduate can act as an arbitrator or mediator in the resolution of international public and private disputes.
The achievement of the mission and its key elements lead to the fact that the “International Law” programme graduate of KAZGUU University becomes a highly skilled, competitive specialist who has the ability to carry out their practical legal activities in all areas of foreign policy and international economic spheres.